Your dog was likely bred for work – hunting, guarding, herding, sporting – meaning he was built to be active. In our modern lives, our pets depend on us to help them maintain that activity. Just like humans, exercise is vital to good health for dogs.
Health Benefits of Exercise
It’s probably not surprising that the health benefits of exercise for dogs mirror those for humans:
- Weight Management – active dogs burn more calories
- Brain Health & Mental Well-being – stimulates mental activity and encourages problem solving
- Joint Health – keeps joints lubricated and discourages stiffness
- Improved Behavior – a tired dog is less likely to burn excess energy with undesirable behavior
- Reduced Disease – including osteoarthritis, cardiovascular disease, liver disease, and insulin resistance
Not to mention an active dog means an active you, so you enjoy the benefits above too!
One of the easiest ways to exercise your dog (and you) is walking. Each breed of dog, and each dog itself, needs different amounts of walking. For instance, active breeds need a minimum of 30 minutes of hard aerobic exercise most days of the week. And, you can do it anywhere. In fact, dogs, like humans, appreciate comfort and routine, so a regular route in your neighborhood is a great place to start.
You can get creative with dog activities too. Instead of a walk, go running. Take an agility class or get involved in competitive tracking. Or just enjoy a good old fashioned game of fetch! Plan a doggie play date. It all counts.
If you live in an area with difficult weather, consider these indoor dog activities:
- Set up an obstacle course
- Keep away and fetch
- Run your dog up and down the stairs
Before you start a dog exercise program, you should take the same precautions as you would with yourself and check with your dog’s veterinarian.
Joint Health for Your Dog and for You
With increased activity comes increased soreness and discomfort. Univera has help for both you and your dog in promoting joint comfort, flexibility, and ease of movement. All of these contain the award-winning power of our proprietary ingredient, Protectin™.
RegeniPET™: New name, same great benefits! An advanced formula, beef-liver flavored formula designed especially for your dog.
RegeniFREE®: The power of Protectin in a capsule. Perfect for those with shellfish allergies.